Saturday, September 10, 2011

On the Eve of 9/11.........

I'm sitting here tonight, in my house, with my husband and one of the boys, our cat, dog, tortoise and turtle.  I'm sitting here tonight and I'm thinking about all of those families who aren't sitting with their loved ones.  Or who are and don't know how long they have with them because while searching for survivors, remains and clearing rubble their loved ones inhaled and were exposed to chemicals that are killing them in one way or another.

I'm grateful to all who serve our country--whether in the military, as first responders or as other public servants.  I'm amazed as I think of how many people ran towards buildings hit by airplanes, on fire and on the verge of collapse.  I'm amazed as I think of how many untrained, ordinary people helped others to escape and survive.

As I sit here tonight with my comfortable life, I am grateful, amazed and incredibly sad to think of all we lost as a nation on that day.  I'm also struck by how much we've lost since that day.

Too many people don't think about the events of that day often enough.  Too many of us aren't grateful to those around us who make our lives possible.

Tomorrow as I consider 9/11/01, I'll take a moment to pause and consider those who died, those who survived and those who continue to serve.  What will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment